Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy Father's Day - to my Dad-by-choice




Uncle Shorty/Dad,

I never imagined when I came to live with you as a frightened, hurt, 8-year-old child hiding in my shell that you would come to be the man I now admire as my dad. I still remember the first time you ever spanked me, and how I screamed bloody murder before you even touched me. I still hate frozen peas, by the way. That day, I thought that discipline was abuse, that punishment was always motivated by anger and revenge and a desire to inflict pain, and I was frightened of what that would look like in your home. What you showed me instead changed me forever. You taught me that abuse and discipline are NOT the same thing. You showed me through your actions that true discipline is necessary and is motivated by love and a desire to see your children grow in wisdom and walk the path that God has for them. It took me a long time to learn that, and I’m so thankful that you have loved me and been patient enough to still want me even through my rebellions.

You’ve done so much for me over the years! You worked to provide for my needs when my biological dad chose not to support me financially, even though it meant giving up your plans of building a dream home and retiring comfortably. You opened your home to me again and again, when I made questionable choices and needed a roof over my head. You love my children as your own grandchildren. You got up in the middle of the night to make sure the girls and I made it safely to your house when we were in danger, and never complained that you were the person I called for help. You stand by me and love me when I fail and when I succeed. You always speak the word of God over me and my family. The difference you have made in my life can’t be measured, and I will forever be overwhelmed that you chose to be my Dad through everything.

When I was young, I didn’t really understand the significance of you being a deacon in the church. As an adult, though, I am so honored to say that you are. I got to explain to Morgan what that means, and together we read 1 Timothy 3:8-13: Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons. In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything. A deacon must be the husband of but one wife and must manage his children and his household well. Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.

When we finished reading, Morgan immediately said, “Yes. That’s my Papa,” and my heart overflowed with love. You didn’t have to be my dad, or their Papa, or a Godly husband to Aunt Virginia, or a deacon. You chose to be all of those things and more, and for that I love you more than words can say.

Happy Father’s Day!

Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment