Monday, June 25, 2012

Ordinary moments, or cherished memories?

Last night as I lay in bed, about to drift off into dreamland, I was overcome with emotion as I realized that it had been exactly 30 years since I last spoke to my mom. That last day as I hugged and kissed her, I was only thinking about how much fun I was going to have at the sleepover she’d arranged for me. I had no idea how that seemingly ordinary day would become so significant. Lying there, I tried to remember the sound of her voice, the beauty of her face, the light in her eyes when she smiled…I had so little time with her, and those memories seem distant and foggy. I wish I had known to cherish those moments of normalcy; I wish my 5-year-old self could have retained every hug, every laugh, every tear, every smile, every second of the good times. Instead, the moments most deeply engraved in my memory are the unpleasant ones.

Today, as I feel the familiar ache that marks this anniversary each year, I realize that I must take the time to cherish the ordinary moments I've had this week.

I cherish Morgan’s smile and the way we can talk about anything at all.
I cherish the way baby Cade smiles at me with his whole face when I talk to him and snuggles up with me when he’s sleepy.
I cherish Lindsay’s genuine, exuberant spirit and wonderful hugs.
I cherish my husband’s willingness to love me with acts of service every day.
I cherish Aaron’s need for physical affection and his devotion to me.
I cherish Heather’s friendship and honesty and the bond we have.
I cherish KayLynn’s uniqueness and the way she makes me think about everything in a completely different way.
I cherish the days I spend with Jenn, laughing, working, and talking. Not everyone gets to be with their sister almost every day as an adult, and I am so blessed.
I cherish my church. My church is my family, my strength, my joy.
I cherish my parents-by-choice and the joy I see in their faces when we visit, even if we can't stay long.
I cherish Phineas & Ferb. Sure, they're cartoon characters, but because of them, I get to hear my family laugh. A lot.

You never know which seemingly ordinary moments will become memories that you never want to lose. I'd love to hear what moments you need to be intentional about cherishing this week. LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered— how fleeting my life is. Psalm 39:4




No comments:

Post a Comment